Monday, June 18, 2012

What's for dinner? Chicken with Silver Sprouts 銀芽雞柳

A student found out that I've been wanting to learn how to cook more Taiwanese style food, and was kind enough to give me a bilingual cookbook. Tonight I prepared Yin Ya Ji Liu — Fried Chicken Strips with Silver Sprouts.

Click on photos to enlarge

Ingredients

Marinade
2 egg whites
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon rice wine
1 tablespoon sesame oil

 

 

 

 

Meat & Veggies
4 skinless boneless chicken breasts
1½ cups bean sprouts
1 bell pepper (I used ½ yellow and ½ red to make it colorful)
2 green onions
5 garlic cloves
(Optional: Add a chopped red chili if you'd like some kick to it)

Seasonings
½ cup chicken broth
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon sesame oil
pepper to taste
¾ cup sweet potato flour (or any light breading)

Note: I'll get 3 meals from just this, so if you add rice I'm sure it could serve 4.

Directions

Cut the chicken into strips.

Prepare the marinade: Whisk the egg whites, then add the salt, garlic powder, rice wine, and sesame oil.

 

 

Let the chicken marinate while you prepare the vegetables.

Snap the ends off the bean sprouts.

The "silver sprouts" in this dish's name refers to the bean sprouts after the ends have been removed.



Mince the garlic and slice the peppers and green onions into strips.



Remove the chicken from the marinade and coat with the sweet potato flour.



Fry the chicken strips in the oil of your choice until golden.

Remove and drain.



By the way, here's what my little kitchen looks like while I'm cooking.

I'm constantly washing dishes while I cook, both to make room and because I don't really have that much cookware. I've had only one frying pan since 2008; so far, that's been enough.



Prepare the seasonings: Mix the chicken broth, salt, pepper, sugar, and sesame oil.



Heat 1 tablespoon of oil and stir fry the garlic and green onion until fragrant.

 



Mix in the sprouts and bell pepper (and red chili if you've opted for that).



Add the seasonings. Stir to coat the vegetables.



Add the chicken and stir quickly and briefly.

Dinner's done!



 

 

 




This recipe is from The Best-loved Everyday Dishes: Mastering the Culinary Art in One Cookbook by Cecilia Hong Baiyang.
這個食譜是從最想學會的家常菜:從小菜到主食一次學透透 作者:洪白陽 (CC老師) 來的.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's AWESOME and inspiring. Looks delicious man!!!

Steve said...

Thanks Oberon. I've found that I really enjoy cooking, even though I'm just a beginner. The next place I live I'm definitely going to try to get a bigger kitchen.